Buchanan Technologies has an exciting full-time opportunity available for a senior DBA. As a SQL Server DBA, this person is responsible for successful support and maintenance of the SQL Server environment. Responsibilities include collaborating with the DBA team and other IT application teams in providing efficient DBA support. Reporting to the Manager of the DBA support team, this person will be involved in patching, upgrading, tuning, and stabilizing of the SQL Server environment to support our client’s core business objectives.
Note: This position requires the use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
*All applicants must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR.
- Collaborate with the DBA team to monitor and resolve the incoming tickets in the DBA support queue.
- Ensure the proper setup and validation of backup and restore processes. Monitor and ensure daily backups and maintenance are working as designed and implemented.
- Escalate issues to the team lead and/or manager in a timely basis for effective resolution of issues.
- Liaise with other teams within the IT department, for all on going issues, queries and statuses.
- Support SQL Server versions 2014 - 2022 including: Database Engine, Integration Services, Reporting Services and Analysis Services, which includes but not limited to, SQL server installation, database creation according to best practices, setup of backup and recovery procedures and proactive performance tuning.
- Deliver on assigned SQL Server Infrastructure projects, including, but not limited to new software releases, patch upgrades, feature exploitation, security and audit, with participation throughout the project lifecycle.
- Establish and maintain written best practices and operational procedures as build books and checklists.
- Analyze and document the current SQL Server environment, which includes the servers, instances, databases and their disk allocations and system allocations as CPU and memory.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in the design, implementation, and support of SQL Server 2017/2019 and 2022 databases.
- Understanding of WSFC and enterprise SQL Server Failover Cluster installations/SQL Server AlwaysOn is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft PowerShell for scripting. In depth knowledge and use of tools such as dbatools and other modules is a plus.
- Willingness to learn and adopt new approaches to handling large volumes of databases in a standardized scripted approach. Is required.
- Experience with enterprise grade features in SQL Server such as Partitioning and Replication is a plus.
- Experience with VLDBs of 10+TB is a plus.
- Exposure to and usage of Redgate tools is a plus.
- Experience with materialized views, and options available in executing database statistics.
- Experience in performance analysis and tuning skills such as tracing and profiling and Dynamic Management Views and Functions (DMVs), and other third-party tools like SQL sentry.
- T-SQL skills that include a thorough understanding of system tables, stored procedures, functions, triggers, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Reporting Services, Analysis Services, Integration Services and PowerBI Report Server.
- Understanding of Windows server 2019 operating system performance monitoring and associated tools.
- Experience with logical and physical data models in partnership with the data architects, and applications developers
- Knowledge of related infrastructure, tools and services in support of SQL Server databases such as storage, backup technologies and disaster recovery.
- Experience in installation and administration of applications/systems on Microsoft Windows 2012 + Servers
- SQL Server certification(s) is/are a plus.
Buchanan Technologies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Buchanan Technologies complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.