At Ports America the Data Base Administrator, DBA, group is responsible for the design, architecture, configuration, maintenance, and availability of database services throughout the enterprise working closely with shared services teams, remote engineers, and end-users across multiple North American locations.
This role provides the opportunity to work with relevant technologies like engineered systems, hybrid cloud services, Internet of Things, and a unique set of industry applications in a diverse business environment. Database systems are mostly Oracle and MS SQL Server in virtualized, physical and cloud environments.
- Install, configure, and maintain databases in Linux and Windows environments, both in cloud and on-site.
- Provide support for critical Terminal Operating Systems (TOS) to ensure that the loading and unloading of container ships never stops.
- Work with database clusters (MS AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Oracle Active Data Guard).
- Triage user/application issues and handle escalations.
- Manage database performance tuning.
- Investigate, diagnose, and provide resolutions for database related issues.
- Monitor database environments to ensure availability, accessibility, and recoverability.
- Evaluate and apply database patches.
- Perform upgrades/migrations.
- Reorganize database structures.
- Collaborate with application and management teams to ensure projects comply with standards and meet expectations.
- Create and maintain documentation to ensure manageability and supportability.
- Enforce database security.
- Assist development teams with data architecture, query, and performance tuning.
- Maintain scripts for automation of routine tasks.
- Support applications deployments.
- Perform capacity planning and system resource evaluations.
- Stay current in database technology and industry direction.
- Participate in on-call rotation to provide after-hours support.
- Travel: Domestic travel up to10%
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline OR High School Diploma or GED with 4+ years of database support, or information technology experience
- 3+ database administration experience supporting Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server
- 3+ years of experience installing and maintaining software and patches for Oracle and SQL Server
- 3+ years of experience with database backup and recovery
- 3+ years of experience with performance tuning and optimization
- 3+ years of experience with database security
- 3+ in both SQL and UNIX scripting
- 3+ years of experience with SQL Server Agent job management
- Application and end-user support in a diverse environment
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Willingness to learn new application and database technologies.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure and Oracle Cloud (OCI)
- Experience with Oracle Grid Infrastructure
- Experience with Oracle Advanced Data Guard
- Experience with MS Windows clusters and SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups
- Experience supporting and using Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
- Experience supporting and using IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager
- Experience with database replication solutions
- Strong, hands-on, and current knowledge of Oracle and SQL database products
- Sound knowledge of database services and industry direction
- Ability to present technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to create and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and IT peers.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery and high availability
- Knowledge of change management
- Strong communication and documentation skills
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Ports America is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex (including pregnancy); sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability; genetic information, citizenship status; military service obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. External applicants must be eligible to work in the US.