Position Title: OS Administrator III (Operating Systems Administration)
Work Location: Ft. Irwin, CA
The OS Administrator will work within a cohesive team environment and is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of operating systems software. Duties include: administer the OS in virtual or physical production platforms and current applications, hardware devices, database and specialized software integration. The Contractor shall ensure that servers meet mission critical and disaster recovery requirements by following the NEC Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and perform systems administration (SA) tasks on a variety of current NETCOM supported OS including Windows Server and Linux. The Contractor shall perform, system administration tasks including security updates, OS fixes and patches, and Information Assurance Vulnerability Alerts (IAVAs) compliance, by following the NEC SOP, and identifying and mitigating security vulnerabilities and risks.
Responsibilities (Not listed in order of importance; other duties may be assigned) and must be able to perform the following with minimal guidance:
- Develop processing logic and sequence keeping in mind such aspects as hardware, programs, data, procedures, system relations, and ITILv3 best practices; monitor storage allocation; analyze system failures and accomplish corrective procedures; review database performance and application statistics on all systems daily; and initiate corrective action to recover/restore data and return system back to normal operations.
- Analyze user ad hoc, complex query procedures, special projects and reports and recommend changes as necessary.
- Modify the storage structure and mapping between databases; provide recommendations for improvement of the storage and mapping of databases; and develop resources for the development and updating of all data code sets used by database management systems, to include item tables, master items lists, and procedure/documentation building.
- Manage active directory to add, update, and delete Active Directory (AD) computer objects as they relate to servers. Add, update, and delete security groups based on customer requirements in accordance with current AD naming conventions and NEC SOPs.
- Provides testing, engineering, and migration functions for NOS, Applications, and NEC Supported critical services such as Hyper-V, File Services, DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), Print Services, Internet Information Services, Apache, OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol), NetBackup, Microsoft SQL, ArcGIS and customer business applications.
- Report to Chain of Command any encountered problems or reoccurring issues that impact the NEC provided services affecting more than one user, organization, building, and/or site. Service provider will be responsible initiate, update, and close out associated CCIR's, HAZCON's, and ASI's which relate to services provided and supported by them and Systems Administrators.
- Perform systems administration (SA) tasks on a variety of Operating Systems including: Windows Server, Linux. Tasks include: security updates, OS fixes and patches, IAVA compliance, CONOP documentation, and identify and mitigate security vulnerabilities and risks associated with Windows Server, Linux.
- Service provider shall provide continuous coverage of data center services between 0700-1700 hours Monday through Friday, excluding identified Federal holidays, to include escorting personnel.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related work experience (relevant experience - field preferred - and education may be considered in lieu of a degree)
- 7+ years of experience performing systems administration functions
- Must possess and maintain an IT I level certification IAW AR 25-2 and an IAT II certification IAW DoD 8570.01-M
- Server + or MS certification
- Must be US citizen
- Experience building and maintaining systems including: Architecting and implementing storage and data management solutions.
- Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- Solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions).
- A solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming, the design of consistent network-wide filesystem layouts.
- Experience working in CMMI Level 3 (or higher) environments is a plus.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Position may require typing and reading from a computer screen. Must have sufficient mobility, including but not limited to bending, reaching, and kneeling to complete daily duties in a timely and efficient manner. May include lifting weigh up to thirty (30) pounds as necessary.
- Must have valid driver's license
- Clean driving record
- Occasional use of company vehicle while on work site
Position may require a DoD security clearance
Kai Honua LLC reserves the right to change or modify job duties and assignments at any time. The above job description is not all encompassing. Positions functions and qualifications may vary depending on business needs.
Kai Honua LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, creed, religion, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status or legally protected characteristics.